What we do
Dignity Counselling Services is our private counselling program, where our counsellors work from a trauma-informed, harm reduction & anti-oppressive feminist framework. They carry different expertise, styles, and ways of working, including EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, & Art Therapy. All counsellors at Surrey Women’s Centre are registered with a Master’s in Counselling Psychology degree. We work from a nonjudgmental place and respect you as the expert in your life – we work on what is important to you and build on your resilience.
Where we are located
We offer counselling services at two locations
- Mondays-Saturday days & evenings at a King George Hwy Newton location
- Mondays-Fridays 9:30am-4pm at a Whalley Blvd. location).
Who is affected
Any individual aged 14+, and we offer services to self-identified women and LGBTQQIA2S+ individuals who have various mental health experiences, including trauma and violence. Our counselling services also extend to any individual who are family members and witnesses of trauma and violence.
Our fees & funding resources
We accept the following payment and funding options:
- Self Pay: Counselling sessions can be paid via credit card, e-transfer, exact cash. Sessions are charged at $80.00 for 50min-1hr.
- Extended Health Benefits: If you have extended health benefits, please check with your provider if they require a specific counsellor membership body to qualify for reimbursement (either RCC or CCC). You will pay out of pocket for your session & you will be provided with a receipt for reimbursement.
- Crime Victim Assistance Program (CVAP): Offers up to 48 one-hour counselling sessions & up to 24 court support counselling sessions. Victim, Family Member, or Witness of a violent crime listed under the Criminal Code that has occurred within one year.
The one-year time limit does not apply if you are under 19 years old, the crime was a sexual offence, or if you were unable to apply within the limit due to circumstances.
Complete an application form on your own or with a worker. If you complete the application on your own, bring a copy to SWC. Applications can be found here.
It can take up to 6 months for the application to be approved. Once approved, the counselling team will contact you & connect you with a counsellor. You can also opt to pay for counselling sessions to access it quicker & send receipts to CVAP once you are approved to get reimbursed. For more information about CVAP, please click here.
Hours of operation
Our team is available 24-hours a day, seven (7) days per week, 365 days per year to help you access emergency medical, legal and social services.
How to get a hold of us
Call 604-583-1295 to speak with a support worker if you are considering your options. You do not have to go to the hospital or make a police report to use our services.