Community Based Victim Support Worker
Compensation dependent on experience
Surrey Women’s Centre is CHANGING THE DEFINITION OF VICTIM by providing a wide range of Crisis, Court and Counselling services to survivors of gender-based violence who experience domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and other forms of violence. In this position, you will be providing crisis support to folks who have experienced gender-based violence. This position works from a feminist, trauma-informed and harm reduction perspective.
- Providing emotional support, advocacy and practical assistance to people experiencing gender-based violence.
- Conducting risk assessments and formulating safety plans with victims.
- Accompanying victims to various appointments including forensic nursing exams, police statements and/or criminal justice proceedings such as appointments with Crown Counsel and trials.
- Maintaining collaborative and cooperative relationships with key medical, legal and community partners in order to ensure the highest quality of client care.
- Coordinating access to emergency resources including emergency housing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a relevant field and/or a minimum of two years’ experience providing emotional and practical support to victims of gender-based violence.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working within a feminist, trauma-informed, harm-reduction perspective.
- Extensive knowledge of community resources and services available to victims.
- Working knowledge of relevant provincial protocols related to domestic violence
- Demonstrated knowledge of Provincial and Supreme court proceedings, terminology, and processes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse clientele, including marginalized women who are experiencing multiple barriers.
·Ability to speak Punjabi fluently will be considered an asset for this position.
We strongly encourage women of color, Indigenous women, and LGBTQQIA2S+ applicants to apply for this position. We encourage, though don’t require, folks of these identities to indicate this on their cover letter.
Please send cover letter and resume addressed to: The Selection Committee. Please include “Crisis Support Worker in your subject line and send to: email@example.com.
Candidates will be screened and interviewed as applications arrive. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.